Friday, November 26, 2021

2021 woodcock season summary

 as posted on OOD


Looks like I hunted about 16 days and moved close to a 100 wc with 2-3 dogs on the ground (the old one stayed home half the time).
It was a good year in my books, but doesn't approach the one when we moved 250 wc with one dog, although about 50 of them were in one crazy, crazy day.


I went to Holland marsh twice. Went to Tiny 1-2 times didn't find any wc.

All other hunting was in Rob's place and it was good. Most of the time moved around 10 birds.

Missed a lot. Most I shot was 3, I think, still have plenty of birds in the freezer.

Dogs worked well.

I can't recall if I shot any from Ivy, but she did point something. She's sticking to me and sometimes I left her home. She's getting tired quickly, her legs are shaking a bit (like tired muscle), I first noticed it last year.

Luna is a machine, she ranges, finds birds, many more than Liza. She points well etc

Liza really hunted better this year. I hunted her alone a few times and she watches me, stays close, doesn't range far, but hold the point better. When she's with Luna, she's watching her and break point when I approach, but not close enough for a shot sometimes. May be it's jealousy/competition....



No comments:

Post a Comment